Monday, December 5, 2011

When my joy is full

I have been struggling with my first blog post. Actually, I have been struggling with the whole darn blog. What is my theme? I have so many ideas. A real estate blog, a balancing life blog, a mom blog, cutesy outfits I have made blog...you know the ones, right? With a handmade shirt for each season? Yeah, not so much on the last one...I took the joke to far. Home Ec was the only "C" I ever got in school, so needless to say, Target does all the sewing around my house! ( Just for the record, my Home Ec pillow wasn't that bad!)
I digress... Back to the blog and my theme. So I was thinking of things that make me joyful. Jesus Culture. Corey and Avery. Lysa TerKeurst. Selling houses. Christy Nockels. My sister-in-law's cupcakes. My mom. And it hit me! Like a ton of bricks. I am one blessed girl. Divinely blessed. Blessed in ways that are so far from what I deserve. Some would call it grace. I call it adundant grace. My joy was half-full for so long, and now through Jesus' persistent calling, I have found fullness of joy.
How is ths possible, you ask? I wonder myself sometimes. I don't deserve this full joy. The things I have done in my past are dirty, are shameful. I knew better...or at least I knew better in my head, not necessarily in my heart. But maybe that is God's specialty. Taking the things, the people, the situations that seem impossible and turning them around just so He can get the credit, the honor, the glory. And that's just what He has done for me in every way. Life isn't perfect, but oh, is it good!
Corey. That little face. He deals with the majority of the consequences of my divorce from his dad. The every-other-weekend-saga. But he could have quickly been put out of exsistence by a bad choice when I was young and scared and nineteen. But I didn't. Corey is here and he is nine years old and he sits in my lap sometimes. My joy is full.
Avery. A symbol of a second chance. A kindred free spirit who looks at life wide-eyed and graciously. She says funny things. She is sarcastic. She is tenderhearted and beautiful. She is my mine. My joy is full.
My family. A praying mother and a stoic, wise father. Granparents who text me to let me know they are praying for me and are proud of me. My sister-in-law Jami who fell in love with Jesus a few years ago is a shining beam of goodness. God redeemed our relationship and used her to show me that love conquers all. She led me to my church family where I sing on Sundays. Where I look out and see people who genuinely love the Lord and want to love Him more everyday. My joy is full.
My friends. So many. From different areas of my life. Friends who pray with me. Friends who don't care if I am bossy. Old ones and new alike. The captivate me and keep me humble. My joy is full.
My Jesus. He went out looking for that bad sheep and He found her. He brought me back. I will spend my days washing His feet with my tears like the immoral woman of His day. I feel her gratitude in that story when I read it. I see the way it could have turned out for me. But it didn't. And old washed out woman, I could have been. A mean, hardened, drug-addicted, chain-smoking, sad woman who knew Jesus from years of Christian school, but never knew what it meant to know Him. But I do now. And I chuckle now when I think about a few years ago when I got to a point where I knew I needed something. Something and Someone more. And when I got that taste of His love, I wanted more. And I still do. Can you feel what the Psalmist felt when he wrote, "My heart bursts its banks,spilling beauty and goodness, I pour it out in a poem to the King!" My joy is full in Him- it is the only way.
So I guess that is what I will blog about. On good days. On bad days. And on those "blah" days.My journey through life and all the places I have yet to go. The mountaintops of good times and the valleys of hard places. I hope you will go with me.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I get to be your first follower!! :) Love your blog, and I can't wait to keep reading! Welcome to the blog world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really sweet post and I am excited to see what else you share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful testimony of His redeeming love. Where would we be without it? Thank you for sharing this, Christy!

    ReplyDelete